Latest Headlines

Mikimoto was here.

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dumpling King (King William St., Adelaide)

Just as usual, I went out for the customary Thursday lunch. The wind today took me to the Dumpling King on King William Street in the City. I've wanted to come here for some time and I did; but just about every time I went, the place was packed out and I didn't have the patience to wait in line. This time though I got lucky (or maybe because I rocked up at 11:30 for a lunch) and got myself a table. And I went for a...

Shallot pancake. 

This was pretty good. I think it's better than the one at Ding Hao and on par with the one from Noodle Kingdom on Gouger Street. Then...

 Fried pork dumpling.

There are 16 dumplings in a serving, and it's best if you make up the dipping sauce in the bowl provided; by mixing soy sauce, vinegar and the plum condiment thingy in the container on your table. It started promising; the dumplings were alright. Then I had a little problem; I actually got bored eating them. After wolfing down maybe the first 8 to 10 dumplings, my jaw started to hurt a little and eating the rest of dumplings became a chore. Unlike gyoza, the dumpling skin was pretty hard and chewy. It didn't help to have the same taste for the whole dish either. So probably it's best if you can gather a few more friends when you are eating here; so you can order different dumplings and enjoy different taste. Despite of this, I actually liked this joint for a cheap and quick bite (if you don't have to wait for the table).

Dumpling King on Urbanspoon
Posted by Picasa